Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Look Up - 24 novembre, 2013


I didn't realize Bob was 6' 10" (2.08 meters) tall when I first met him. That's because our first few conversations occurred while he was standing in the courtyard a floor level below our balcony. He and his wife Angela would cheerfully greet us when they were outside watering their many plants They were a godsend that first lonely month since both could speak English and kindly helped us figure out small but important details like when and where to put out the trash. 

So, I was a little shocked when I ran into Bob on the street level in front of our building and realized that he is a very tall man!  It turns out he is from Brooklyn, New York and came to Italy 45 years ago to play professional basketball. He met and married Angela here and they made Italy their permanent home.  I think Bob enjoys talking with us because we are a connection to his previous life.

During one conversation about the experience of living in a new place, Bob shared an important suggestion. He said that someone had encouraged him to look up while he was walking since there are so many details that might otherwise be missed. I took his advice and have enjoyed taking a whole series of photographs from the streets looking up.  I guess I assumed that someone as tall as Bob would always be looking down on people so I love the fact that he gave me this new perspective.


Via Vittoria Emanuele II

Via Giovio 

The main post office
Piazza Volta
Via Armondo Diaz

Via Volta courtyard entrance



Chiesa Del Crocefisso (Church of the Crucifix)

The Duomo


Piazza Cavour
Bob and Angela (photo by D. Hoopes)

No comments:

Post a Comment