Thursday, July 31, 2014

Humans of Como - 31 luglio, 2014

This post is an homage to the amazing blog, Humans of New York. (www.humansofnewyork.com)

Ignazio - Skipper of a sightseeing boat 
"What is the best part of your job?"
"The last cruise of the day because it is always the most beautiful."
"What do tourists want to know about the lake?
"Italians: where can they eat well, Americans: where is Clooney?, Chinese want to take photos, and Russians: how much does it cost?"

Sister Guilia, Mother Superior

"What is the most difficult part of your work with the poor?"
"The difficulty we have getting in tune with their way of seeing. There are misunderstandings and tension."
"What is the best part?
"I am happy when I can give a little joy to my brothers in need.

Mody, from Senegal, age 32
 "What is the hardest part of selling books on the street?
"No one wants to buy them."
"What do you want to do in the future?
"I would like to train to be a mechanic and work on cars.

Alessandro, student musician, age 16
Seen on Via Luini
I have been inspired by Brandon Stanton who is a 28 year old street photographer in New York City. He has spent the past four years taking portraits of ordinary people he meets as he walks around the city.  I am most impressed by his ability to engage his subjects in meaningful conversation so he can add their unique voice to their image.  Brandon described it as "picking random people and celebrating them on a stage".  His Humans of New York blog has the most captivating photos that are simply posed yet rich in detail and expression.

I spend a lot of time wandering around the streets of Como with my camera and I often see the most interesting people that I would like to photograph. I have been humbled by how difficult it is to approach people, ask to photograph them, and then try to have a conversation. It is not my intention to try to imitate the talented Mr. Stanton; I need to find my own creative path. But whether one is in New York City or Como, Italy,  I believe that everyone has a story to tell and enjoys having their life acknowledged.

1 comment: