Monday, March 9, 2015

Zurich - Don't let me be lonely tonight - 9 marzo, 2015

While I continue to see my life here as an adventure to be experienced, Dave reminds me that he is not on vacation. And it is true, expats are living in their adopted country because of their employment status and Dave's work commitments define our life here. Usually we can plan our excursions on weekends and his scheduled time off, but this week the concert that I purchased tickets for eight months ago unfortunately fell on on a Sunday night in Zurich, Switzerland, a four drive away from Como. When we realized that Dave would not be able to miss work on Monday, I looked for a friend who might want to go to the concert with me. No one seemed as excited as I was about the prospect of going to see James Taylor in another city so I realized this would be a solo journey.
The high speed trains reminds me of a reptile.

 I located a hotel in Zurich down the street from the concert venue and booked a train ticket. The three and half hour high speed train ride there was one of the most scenic train trips I have been on as the route crossed Lake Lugano and then traveled through the Alps and along Lake Lucerne and Lake Zug. I had contacted one of Dave's Swedish cousins who had recently relocated to Zurich to see if we could connect. She and her daughter met me at the Central train station and we spent the afternoon together. We joined the other city dwellers enjoying the early spring sunshine and ate outside at a Lebanese cafe. Her adorable daughter, Clara made me realize how I miss having children in my everyday life as she turned cartwheels on the sidewalk and drew pictures for us on the placemat. We had a lovely walk around the city center until they had to head home. I enjoyed looking at the architecture and streetscapes and walked to the lakefront. Zurich, even though it is the largest city in Switzerland, felt compact and safe.

Clara and Anna welcomed me to Zurich.



Lake Zurich










After checking into my hotel, I walked over to the Kongresshaus where the concert was. As I joined the others going in, I felt like I had found "my people". I could hear others talking of when and where they had first seen James Taylor play (yep, for me that was in Athens, Ohio in 1972) and as usual I felt dismayed to realize that "my people" are all looking decidedly more mature than at the last concert I attended. I asked at the ticket booth if I was allowed to try and sell Dave's unused ticket and was shocked when they offered to sell it for me. A few minutes after I sat down (in a great seat I might add, near the front), a Swiss man came and sat down in the empty seat next to me. He told me he had just bought the ticket and was told to let me know the money was waiting for me at the ticket booth.  I was impressed that they sold the ticket at full price and gave it all back to me. But the funniest part was my new seat partner introduced himself and his name was Dave!

The concert was vintage James Taylor and exactly what I had hoped for. The Swiss audience was, as I had been warned by the new Dave, more subdued that I am used to but that paid off when near the intermission, the back-up singers encouraged people to come down front and only about 25 or 30 of us did. I got that front row view for the last few songs and then was able to be in the group of people that James greeted and took photos with during the break. It was one of those times, that being alone in a crowd was actually a pretty awesome place to be be.

This morning, I spent time walking along the lake and wandering around the old town before I caught the train back to Como.  I knew my Dave would have really enjoyed the city and my visit with Anna (and James) so I look forward to the next trip when I will have a traveling partner again.

James Taylor and his band




5 comments:

  1. You are living the sweet life!! Su happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good time. Beautiful mother-daughter photo. I was there at the Convo for JT in 1972. Saw Livingston and maybe his sister, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great trip, Jeanne! I can't wait to explore in Switzerland with you this summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully told Jeanne ! Thanks for taking us with you ! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw James Taylor in 1972. It was a great year!

    ReplyDelete