Monday, November 18, 2013

Criminal Art - 18 novembre, 2013

Not everything in Italy is beautiful. There is a blight upon the land and that is graffiti. No building seems to be immune although I don't recall having seen any spray paint on churches. The large works of "art" pictured below are on abandoned buildings but down every street in Como, one can see gang-like "tags" on stone pillars, tall wooden carved doors, historic buildings…. and even on the walls adjacent to my doorway.

I have been told it is related to the high unemployment rate and disillusionment felt by young adults here. Usually I have empathy and concern for people struggling with these issues but I am confused about the connection between one's economic woes and defacing the walls of your own community. 








I borrowed the term Criminal Art from a small gallery in my neighborhood that exhibits art work that is in a graffiti-style. I am not sure if it can give some of these artists a legitimate outlet for their expression or if it encourages the larger street versions. I have to admit that there are some images that have caught my eye because they are creative and imaginative.

The door of my apartment building.

While some businesses are able to immediately cover up markings that show up overnight, they seem to keep reappearing and many doorways and walls show a variety of gang-like tags. My neighbor told me she is in a neighborhood group that spends some Sundays painting over graffiti in the area. They have the blessing of the city government but must pay for their own paint and supplies.

Obviously, this is not a problem unique to Como. Maybe I notice it so much because I have moved from suburbia in the U.S to a more urban environment here and I spend so much time walking through the pedestrian streets. I am just in awe of the beauty and history of the ancient structures around me and I am troubled by how quickly a can of spray paint can deface it.
Neighborhood clean-up crew

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, Jeanne...I have to say I didn't really notice graffiti where I was in Italy...do you notice other signs of unemployment/unrest?

    ReplyDelete