Thursday, October 10, 2013

Istanbul: Fascinating and beautiful - 6 ottobre, 2013

Hagia Sophia 


My only cousin Janet lives in California so we don't get to see each other very often. When she told me that she and her husband would be completing a Mediterranean cruise in Istanbul, it gave us the perfect reason to plan a weekend there. We spent two long days walking all over the city together and taking it all in. We found Istanbul to be a fascinating and beautiful place with very friendly people. The sensory stimulation is incredible from the brilliant colors in the markets to the tastes and smells of the street food to the call to prayer coming over speakers throughout the city five times a day. It is a very photogenic place to which I hope to return for a longer visit.


Panoramic from Galata Tower - Looking across the Bosphorus Strait toward the Asian side of Istanbul







The Blue Mosque


close-up of the tile inside

Basilica Cistern


3 comments:

  1. I love it! And I would be happy to join you for the "longer visit" you referred to above. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you took the opportunity to go...the idea of "a weekend in Istanbul" is a little mind-boggling! Gorgeous photos...it's on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that it is mind-bobbling to me as well. 2 hour and 20 minute flight and I was in another world.

      Delete