Wednesday, October 16, 2013

My Neighborhood - 16 ottobre, 2013

It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood and I couldn't get Mr. Rogers out of my head while I was taking photos of my favorite places. I have had the opportunity to slow down the pace of my life since I moved here and have enjoyed wandering the streets of the old part of Como. We live in the Città Murata which means the part of the city that is inside the wall.  Parts of three sides of the ancient stone wall which was built between 1159 and 1175 remain intact and there are three medieval towers still standing.  The Porta Torre (the largest tower) is about a block from our apartment and stands over the archway that leads to our pedestrian zone neighborhood. I still am in awe of the history of this place every time I walk or ride my bicycle through the gateway.

External view of the wall

Porta Torre (at the end of the street)
 There are larger stores and shopping areas outside of town but within Como, the streets are lined with small shops, many with a singular focus such as a "polleria" that focuses on selling chicken or  another that only has clothing for the "bambini" (children). There is a large community indoor food market that is open three days a week and a huge street market that magically appears Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturday just outside the old walls. I have found that you can buy just about anything you want or need within walking distance of our apartment. My shopping habits have changed drastically as I buy food in smaller quantities almost every day and I use cash for everything. (What's a debit card?) The window displays in the retail shops change frequently and are very attractive so I find myself window shopping and discovering items I never knew I needed.
the cafe right below our apartment

tabacchi (stamps, tickets, tobacco)
















I have been pleasantly surprised how much I enjoy not having a car. I enjoy the process of planning out my route for errands and love how easy it is to burn calories just doing my everyday routine. Everyday as I am walking, I notice new details which help me figure out the puzzle of life here.

pasticceria (pastry shop)

salumeria (deli)


libreria (bookstore)


newstand


street market



posta (post office)
macelleria (butcher)



 San Fedele (neighborhood church and piazza)

No comments:

Post a Comment