Friday, September 13, 2013

Why we came here - 18 agosto, 2013

Way back in February when Dave came home from work and asked me if I would be willing to move with him to Northern Italy, this is why I said yes.  For the last decade, we have planned vacation trips to places where we could go hiking in the mountains and on trails along beautiful lakes and coastlines. When we were in Wyoming, on a whim I picked up a sign for my office that said "The Mountains are Calling - I Must Go". On many a crazy day at school, I gazed at that sign. So when an opportunity to live 3 miles from the Switzerland border came up, we said yes.

Yesterday was Saturday and we decided to walk up the trail that begins less than an kilometer from our house. (I am trying to think metric now) The sign said 1hr hike which is exactly how long it took us to walk up the old stone steps and trail that leads up the mountain to the village of Brunate. These old trails have been used by mules and people for centuries. Of course there is a cafe at the top so we enjoyed a cappuccino and espresso when we got there.  We were rewarded with a magnificent view of the lake and the city of Como and could even pick out our block. The funiculare also ends up near by so we had the choice of taking it back down. We chose to return the way we had come and found out that a steep walk down is not the easy choice.






















Today we explored the community by bicycle. Since we live inside the walled part of the city, vehicles are restricted so everyone rides bikes. I am amazed by the women in dress clothes and platform shoes who ride their bicycles, even sometimes while talking on their cell phones. I feel
lucky if I stay upright and don't hit any dachshunds or traffic barriers.


(Photo by David Hoopes)

No comments:

Post a Comment