Friday, September 13, 2013

Be careful what you wish for - 15 agosto, 2013

How many times did I say I needed more hours in the day? How often have I wished for some peace and quiet?  I can remember sitting with Kris and Peggy at a photography workshop just last winter saying that if I only had more time, I could really be a better photographer.



Well somehow I woke up this morning with way too much time on my hands. The combination of retiring, moving to a place where I know no one and the temporary absence of technology has placed me in a very quiet, solitary place.  Dave is in Germany for a few days, the entire country of Italy is apparently on vacation and the recording on my non-functioning cell phone is in Italian.

It is hot here and all of the windows are open. The sounds of living so close to other people are startling; I hear toilets flush and baths being drawn. A toddler on the street below is giggling and squealing, bicyclists ring their bell as they come to the intersection and the conversations in the cafe blend together.

I had anticipated loneliness and struggles during the transition period but I didn't know that time would feel different. I feel like I need to be productive and get something done but I don't know yet what that is.  I am not used to that feeling of unscheduled time stretching ahead of me. I am not used to quiet.



Yesterday, I rode a regional bus 2 hours to Bergamo.  My friend Karen (my English teacher and Guidance Counselor in high school) was there visiting with her two nieces from Cleveland. It was nice to sit and enjoy lunch with three women and chat in English!  I am missing my female friends and that easy conversation. It motivates me to work every day to learn Italian so I can find that here.

No comments:

Post a Comment