Friday, October 1, 2021

Step by Step

There were 20 days of walking, one rest day and 230 miles (370 kilometers) in distance covered from San Miniato in Tuscany to Rome in Lazio. We are so fortunate that we are physically healthy and our knees and other joints rose to the challenge. 

I am so grateful for David who was willing to join me on this journey and who never complained when I stopped to take a photograph….well maybe just once or twice he did. I am appreciative of everyone who showed us kindness and support along the way, especially the guard at the Vatican Museum who led us through a special door for our “private” visit to the Capella Sistina. Thank you to all the Italians who let me speak Italian with them…slowly. 

I loved walking this ancient route and learning about the Etruscans and the early Romans. Every day, we stepped into chapels and sanctuaries and cathedrals and marveled at how they could have been built before cranes and machinery. We saw priceless frescos on walls of little churches in deserted villages. I lit candles and said prayers and enjoyed the quiet. We had lots of time to think and reflect but also time to talk together and enjoy the view. This journey was a gift that will always be remembered.


Here are photos of my credentials with the stamps we collected along the way:





No comments:

Post a Comment