Sunday, September 26, 2021

Trailing Spouse


When we lived in Italy, one of our official immigration documents listed me as “trailing spouse”. This indicated that I was there based on the employment of my husband. As an independent-minded woman, the term bothered me initially but it also made us laugh. After years of hiking together and taking many photographs on the trails, I realized that I am often walking behind David so I probably have hundreds of photos of his backpack. Because of my slightly slower pace and my tendency to stop for photos, I am still a trailing spouse.

We arrived in the village of Campagnano di Roma and wandered around for awhile after checking into our hotel. We stepped into the cathedral to admire the frescos and saw that it was being prepared for a wedding. I took a seat on a bench in the piazza and watched the guests and wedding party arrive. Then it grew quiet and a bright red Volkswagen bus came down the narrow stone street and the bride and her father got out and went up the steps. I felt lucky to see a glimpse of their special day.

Our day ended with a leisurely meal at our hotel, sitting outside watching the Saturday night life of a small town unfold in front of us. It was my favorite meal of the trip so far (including stuffed zucchini flowers and paccheri pasta with mozzarella di bufala cheese). Sometimes the best food comes in unexpected places.

Total mileage today: 10.2 miles


                              A common view.


Walking next to a highway, the trail is narrow.


Mount Gelato cascate (waterfalls). No ice cream in sight.


This cute couple from Milan is on a two week ride.


              The entrance to Campagnano di Roma. 


The cathedral. (Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista) 1518


                         Her special day is here.


                           People watching.


The toll of two wars is memorialized in every village.


This is why our dinner was so good. Fatto a mano ….made by hand. 


 

1 comment: