Sunday, March 30, 2014

Car-less in Como (Part 1) - 30 marzo, 2014

Years ago when our Swedish cousins visited us in Rocky River, they commented on how much business we all conducted in our cars, from visiting the drive-thru windows for fast food, to getting cash from the drive-through ATM and even picking up books and videos at the library window. I laughed because it seemed normal to me at the time but it did make me start thinking about how dependent I had become on my car while living in suburbia. 

Fast forward twenty years and now, I am experiencing life without a car. Part of our decision to live in the city of Como was based on the fact that it is a pedestrian community and well served by public transportation. David has a car provided by his company but since he commutes to work about 12 miles away, I do not have access to his car. And since our parking space (called a "box" here) is in an underground garage a 10 minute walk away, we rarely use it on weekends. For the most part, I am happily surviving without a car.

Here are some some things I have learned in the past 8 months:
 1. When you walk everywhere, especially in an area with a lot of stairs, you can eat just about anything you want, including lots of pasta without gaining weight.
 2. Errands become much more intentional and involve pre-planning to avoid unnecessary return trips.
 3. I buy less things, especially large or heavy items. 
 4. I am much more aware of when it is raining and usually carry an umbrella with me. (Everyone here, including the youngest school children always seem to have an umbrella with them when it starts to rain.)
5. I notice so many more details of daily life around me when I am walking or riding my bike. 

Not all of my walking however has to be purposeful or destination driven. There is a wonderful tradition in Italy called the "passeggiata" which is a gentle stroll, usually in the evening or on Sunday. People come to the "centro storico" (historical center of town) and walk slowly together and sit and enjoy the end of the day. One of the best parts of living right in the "centro" is that we can often share in this experience.

Early morning traffic

My trusty bike that I brought from Ohio.

A sea of umbrellas is a common sight.

Laura with one of the Como community share bikes.


Our aerobic "step" class!


              The funicular railway costs 3 euro and will give you a quicker (7 minute) way of getting up or down the mountain.

1 comment:

  1. Mom! I love the upgraded design of your blog! beautiful! i miss you guys xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete